Thursday 23 April 2015

World Book Day 2015



I love World Book Day, mostly because it isn't actually World Book Day. You get to choose - 5th March or 23rd April? It's also not entirely sure of its name. World Book Day, AKA World Book and Copyright Day, and International Day of the Book.

Either way - hurray for #WorldBookDay

In celebration, I thought I'd mention a few of my favourite reads and paperback romps. 



The book  I have just finished reading:


The Borgias by Christopher Hibbert

I'm quite partial to a spot of non-fiction, especially when it reads like fiction. A truly compelling insight into one of my favourite TV series





Books I'm currently Reading:


He Drinks Poison by Laine Cunningham


Laine gave Rosy Hours an absolutely stonking review, and interviewed me a while back. I adore the cover on her latest novel and couldn't resist picking it up. Don't eat and read. Jam jars - eeew!

Steel & Snow by George R. R. Martin


Losing the battle to catch up with Game of Thrones before season five finishes airing. Reviewed books one and two. Really enjoying myself. Pure escapism.






Author crush of the year:





Smitten by Remittance after finding this erotica writer in Red Phone Box. Beautifully nuanced, intriguing individual. Great Twitter feed, too: @remittancegirl 



Top of my TBR pile:




Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

One of my all-time favourite movies. I've been meaning to read the book for a long time. Finally got around to downloading it. 





Poetry:



Brand New Ancients by Kate Tempest



My lovely Aunty Heron sent me this. Blew me away. I read it and watched the live excerpts. Really excellent epic poem for the modern era.




Reading lists:




As a self-taught writer, I thought I'd gain myself an edumercation: Elements of Style, On Writing and 101 Ways to Write Badly Well. Worth diving into for anyone interested in the art of writing.




A selection of my favourite childhood reads, however the children's book of fantasticalness goes to Shark in the Dark by Peter Bently. Kept a bubbly three-year-old highly entertained for an afternoon.
Charity Shop List (AKA The Blue List)

A set of highly diverse books I picked up on a whim in a charity shop in Scotland. By coincidence, they are mostly blue.


I currently live in Rwanda, and we've just passed the 21st memorial of the 1994 genocide. This is my recommended reading on the matter for anyone interested in human rights and world affairs.




And, finally, a shout out to my publishers: Ghostwoods Books, Green Sunset Books and Netherworld Books.


No comments:

Post a Comment