Friday 22 May 2015

Hardwired for Story


Food for thought. Follows on from my post on Books Bend Your Brain. Appreciate what she's saying, but the be-all and end-all of storytelling isn't to hit the New York Best Sellers list (though I'm sure my publishers wouldn't complain). I think there's plenty of scope for stories that don't follow the arc, for non-aspirational storytelling and being reckless in your construction. Rosy Hours certainly doesn't conform, and whereas it's been criticised for that, last I looked, it's also got a few die-hard fans who completely connected with it. Stories come in all shapes and sizes, as do people and their brains. Mass-appeal may require a strict format, but how many beautiful, brilliant stories would go unwritten if we took the moral of this talk to heart? Still worth a watch. The neurochemistry behind storytelling is quite fascinating.

No comments:

Post a Comment